Hey Baldr Odinson, Learn About Walmart

Anti-Rights Cultists like Jason Kilgore Baldr Odinson like to use scare tactics to point out how bad things are out there. Of course, numbers like these can backfire

As I have chronicled on this blog, Walmart had 53 shootings reported in the media in 2012.  That’s more than one a week, on average.  HERE is a listing of those incidents.  Though I didn’t look carefully until recently, I also found 21 other gun crimes where shots weren’t fired.  That’s at least 74 incidents in at least 28 states.
Crimes and shootings included armed robberies, customers angry at each other, shoplifters (including of assault weapons!), road rage, law enforcement encounters, drug deals gone wrong, and even suicides.  Twice there were accidental shootings, both times by gun owners with legal conceal carry permits.

I found 8 homicides, 25 attempted homicides or aggravated assaults with guns, 2 gang-related incidents, 3 drug-related events, 18 armed robberies, 11 shoplifting incidents, 2 accidents, 10 law-enforcement related incidents, and at least one murder/suicide (some of these categories overlap).  There were also two plots for mass murders at Walmarts

I mean if crime is that rampant at Walmart I definitely want to be armed if I go there. Wouldn’t you, right?

But let’s put those numbers into a little bit of context, eh.

Walmart operates 3,982 Super Centers, Stores and Nieghborhood Markets with another 620 Sam’s Clubs. Let’s use just the “Walmart” stores to give “Baldr” the best numbers; with 74 incidents recorded that means only 1 store in 53.8.

Still pretty high numbers but Walmart is more then just the number of stores; there are an incredible number of people who are customers. Anyone care to guess how many people shop at Walmart?

Would you guess 1.4 million people? I mean that would be 0.0053% of the people involved in an incident.
Well, 1.4 million people is just how many people work at Walmart; not shop there.
How about 14 Million people per week? BZZZZ , still low.

Try 140,00,000 people per week. 7,280,000,000 people per year.Doing the math 74 divided by 7.28 billion equals 0.00001016  percent of the people per year who worry “Baldr” enough for him to restrict the rights of everyone else.

Maybe we shouldn’t let paranoid people like this push laws on the majority of the people; We are better than this.

8 Responses to this post.

1. Posted by Paladin on 02.01.13 at 5:00 AM

Crushing a classic Liberal strategy… I love it when that happens :)

2. Posted by Blue on 02.01.13 at 5:00 AM

Good work! Using simple math to quash the exaggerations of a gun grabbing Liberal.

“I love it when a plan comes together”

3. Posted by Reputo on 02.01.13 at 5:00 AM

I think another way of looking at is what is the chance I will be affected by one of these (i.e. robbed or shot). Assuming I am the typical shopper (1 trip for 1 hour per week) and all of the incidents happening during the 12 hours of daytime (when I go to Walmart), then there are 74/52=1.42 incidents per week and 1.42/7/12=0.016 incidents per shopping trip and 0.016/3982=0.00000402 incidents per shopping trip per store. Now assuming that there are approximately 150 people in Walmart at any one time and the “gunman” (shooter, accidental shooter, thief, etc) only affects the 5 people immediately around him, then there is 0.00000402*5/150=0.000000134 people affected per shopping trip per store or 1 in 7.5 million. Powerball odds for 5 numbers and no powerball ($1million prize) are only 1 in 5.1 million. In other words, if I buy a powerball ticket at Walmart every shopping trip I take, I will be 50% more likely to win $1,000,000 than to be affected in any way by a “gun incident” at said Walmart.

4. Posted by Jumblerant on 02.01.13 at 5:00 AM

Well, I guess that’s right, unless the WalMart in question was in Chicago! I hear they got over 500 murders last year. Congrats Windy City!

5. Posted by Sfcmarkc on 02.01.13 at 5:00 AM

Also, if you look at the list apparently if a police officer uses his weapon on Walmart property, that counts as a Walmart shooting too. An indication of how confident he is of his facts is that his blogs don’t allow comments.

6. Posted by RabidAlien on 02.01.13 at 5:00 AM

Yeah, I was pretty ticked the other night at Wallyworld, myself. They were out of ALL 9mm!!! Seriously…there wasn’t even a half-eaten box of cheapo ex-Soviet-Bloc filled-with-charcoal-and-acid crap! Then again, so were Academy and Bass Pro.

As for numbers….I love it when anti’s post numbers. They’re always easy to beat, even for a non-mathematically-inclined guy like myself.

7. Posted by harp1034 on 02.01.13 at 5:00 AM

I am already armed when I go to Wal Mart. Lately the local one has had an off duty police offier there. But the cop is always standing by the ATM near the front. Who knows what might go on near the back.

8. Posted by Geodkyt on 02.01.13 at 5:00 AM